Discord is a video, audio, and text chat application widely used by all communities, especially gammers. If you can’t hear anyone on discord then try these fixes to get the audio back to normal. This innovative app gives you many amazing features to connect with your friends more efficiently. But sometimes it gives errors like you can’t hear anyone on Discord.
In this article, you’ll know all the reasons and fixes to get rid of Discord audio and communication issues. This situation might be getting on your nerves but luckily it’s quite easily fixable. All you need is a guidebook at hand and you are good to go.
Don’t Miss: 4 Most Popular Themes for Better Discord
Why You Can’t Hear Anyone On Discord?
There could be several reasons why you can’t hear anyone on the discord. Knowing the main reason for an issue always helps to fix it more efficiently. Check the list below to see why this happens.
- Improper audio settings.
- The audio device is not selected as the default device.
- Outdated app.
- Outdated audio driver.
How To Fix Can’t Hear Anyone On Discord?
After a thorough analysis of all the ins and outs of this problem, we have compiled a list of solutions to enable you to hear clearly on Discord.
1. Update Discord
Discord receives updates almost every month. Some updates come with bugs and errors. But some come with fixes. However, new features are always implemented on the list. So, updating your app frequently is a much-needed thing to do.
If you can’t hear anyone on Discord then try to get an updated version of the app and check if they can hear others during a call.
2. Reinstall Discord
If updating the app didn’t fix the problem for you then try to reinstall discord. This method has worked for many users and hopefully, it will work for you as well. A reinstall removes minor glitches or bugs and your app starts afresh.
3. Refresh Discord
Refreshing the discord app is an easy and efficient way to resolve temporary glitches like audio issues. If you are having difficulty hearing your friends on discord then refresh your app. Press Ctrl + R key to reboot and refresh Discord automatically. Doing so, you will be able to hear everyone. If you still face difficulty in hearing people then move to the next method.
4. Use Legacy Audio Subsystem
Incompatibility between your hardware and Discord’s latest subsystem can cause audio issues. Simply turn ON Use Legacy Audio Subsystem to resolve the audio issues. Here is how to do this.
- Click the gear icon in the bottom right corner of your screen to open settings.
- Now select Voice & Video on the left pane.
- Next, scroll down to the AUDIO SUBSYSTEM.
- Here click the down arrow and select Legacy.
- Click OK when a prompt message appears on your screen to relaunch the discord app.
5. Change Volume Through Volume Mixer
If the individual volume of discord is too low, there will be no output voice. You can manage the individual volume of each app through the volume mixer. There is an option to increase or decrease the volume for each app. You can adjust the volume for the Discord app to fix the audio issue.
- Press Windows + S to open a dialogue box.
- Type Volume Mixer in the dialogue box to open Settings.
- Select Discord from the list of all active applications.
- Now increase the volume to the fullest.
- At last, save changes and re-launch Discord to see if the problem is fixed or not.
6. Use Web Version
Sometimes, there is a bug in the app that is why you can’t hear anyone on discord. Whereas, using the web version of the application can save you from bugs and errors. Search Discord.com on your browser and log in to your Discord account. The app design and features are the same in the web version so there won’t be any usage difficulty.
7. Set As Default Communication Device
Make sure to set your speaker or microphone as the default communication device. These settings are not available on Discord. You have to go to Windows to set communication or audio device as default devices. Follow the steps below to do this.
- Open the Windows search bar and type Sound.
- Now click on the Change system sounds option.
- Open the Playback tab at the top right corner.
- Next, click on your output device.
- Now click on Set as Default Device.
- Then repeat the process and select Set as Default Communication Device.
- In the end, click on Apply and select Ok to complete the process.
8. Change Server Region
The reason why you are unable to hear anyone on Discord could be the server region selected on your device. By changing the server region, there is a great possibility of getting rid of the audio issues.
- Open Server Settings by clicking on Server.
- Click on the Overview option.
- Now select Server Region.
- Here you can select a different region.
- Finally, click on Save Changes to save the new region as default.
9. Use Proper Sound Output Or Input
If there is an incorrect audio device selected as the default device then you will face difficulty in hearing other people on discord. All you need to do is select the correct audio device and you are good to go. Here is how you can do this.
- Go to your Discord app.
- Click on the gear icon to open the settings.
- Select Voice & Video on the left side of your screen.
- Click the down arrow and select Default under the VOICE SETTINGS.
- The final step is to make sure that the Output Volume is not set to 0.
10. Update Audio Drivers
An outdated audio driver is incompatible with your device. Hence, causes issues such as you can’t hear anyone on discord. Windows gives frequent updates to save you from facing such issues. Check your audio drivers and update if necessary.
- Press Windows key + R to open a dialogue box.
- Now type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
- Then select the Sound, video, and game controllers option.
- Expand the list to locate the installed driver and click on it.
- Here, select properties and click on the Driver tab.
- Choose Update Driver from the list of options.
- You can also select Search For Drivers Automatically And Install. Your driver will be updated automatically.
11. Run Discord As An Administrator
The reason why you are unable to hear anyone on discord could be permission issues. You need to grant the Discord app the necessary permissions to fix this problem. Go to settings and launch discord as Admin. Here is how.
- Right-click on the Discord icon and select properties.
- Locate the compatibility tab and select Run this program as an administrator option.
- Now apply the settings and hit Ok.
- Finally, exit and re-launch Discord to see whether the issue is resolved or not.
Apply the methods mentioned in this guide one by one in chronological order, starting from the simple ones. If you can’t hear anyone on discord then the common reasons could be the default audio device setting or the outdated driver.
Whatever the reason may be, this article is going to fix your problem for sure. Applying proper audio and communication settings has fixed the issue for many users. Hope it helps you too to get rid of Discord audio errors.