Android users get the privilege of customizing their smartphones with help of the bootloader. However, many upgraded Android phones keep bootloaders locked for security reasons. So, if you are planning to make some customizations on your Android, you must learn how to tell if the bootloader is unlocked.
In this article, we have shared the methods that can help you check if the bootloader is already unlocked or if you have to unlock it. You can check either from your Android or PC. Read the article thoroughly to further details.
How To Check Bootloader Using Your Android
How to tell if an android bootloader is unlocked? You can do it simply by dialing a code on the dial pad. If it does not work, you can go for the next procedure and unlock it effortlessly by executing some steps on your Android.
- Open your Android phone.
- Launch the “dial pad” or “dialer.”
- Type the code *#*#7378423*#*#.
- It will automatically open a new site on your phone.
- Click on the “Service info.”
- Choose the “Configuration.”
- The two messages appear on the screen.
Bootloader Unlocked Allowed – Yes
Bootloader Unlocked – Yes
The first message means that your bootloader is locked and you can unlock it. Whereas, the second message means that your bootloader is unlocked.
How To Check Bootloader Using Your PC
If the above-mentioned methods do not work, you have to check them on your PC. For this purpose, you have to install the ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
Once done, then you can simply follow the below guides:
1. Use Command Prompt
- Once you have downloaded the tool you have to look for the “ADB and Fastboot folder.”
- Select the “Start Menu” then enter CMD and open it.
- On the CMD, you have to type the path on the ADB and Fastboot folder:
C:\Users\Username\Downloads\ADB and fast boot
2. Turn On The Fastboot Mode
After setting the command prompt, you have to turn on the fastboot mode. For this follow these steps:
- First of all, turn off your phone.
- After that, press the power and volume buttons simultaneously to turn on your phone.
- When the phone turns on, release the power button but hold the volume button until you see a bootloader card.
- After that, connect the phone to your PC through a USB cable.
3. Check Bootloader Status
Now everything is set up and you can use CMD to check the bootloader status on your Android phone. Interpret these points:
- First, type the ./adb devices command in CMD and press enter.
- This will help CMD to locate your device.
- Execute the ./adb bootloader command to launch the bootloader.
- When you are in the bootloader, enter fastboot devices in the command prompt and press enter. It means that the system can recognize your device.
- Then type the fastboot oem device-info and run it. It will list all the info about the bootloader.
- After that, you have to look for “Device Unlocked” from the info.
- If it shows “true,” your device bootloader is unlocked.
- If it shows “false,” your bootloader is locked.
Can You Unlock The Bootloader On All Phones?
There are some strategies to unlock the bootloader on your Android. But for some models, it is difficult to do so. The complication to unlock the bootloader depends upon the manufactory.
Some Androids such as HTC, Xiaomi, and OnePlus are very manageable to unlock the bootloader. However, it is impossible to unlock bootloaders on some phones.
Is it important to unlock your bootloader?
Some of you see it as an option but some technophiles want to unlock it to upgrade the software of their own choice. As it increases the lifespan of your phone.
Is your mobile secured after unlocking the bootloader?
You must know that every phone comes with a locked bootloader for some security motives. A locked bootloader can upgrade the operating system inside the phone. If the unlocked bootloader gets into false hands they can access all your pin codes and data. So, be careful while doing this.
Here you go with all the methods to know how to enable the bootloader on your phone or not. You can simply enter a code on your phone to check the bootloader status. On PC, you can download the ADB and Fastboot to know about it. Now you can add features to your Android phone using a bootloader.
All the methods explained above are tested and effective. Hopefully, this article helps you to customize your Android phones easily.