Nothing in this world is perfect. So, what got you thinking your HBO Max could be flawless? Undoubtedly, it has excellent software that entertains you the whole year. But, that luxury comes with a little pain of sometimes fixing bugs like “can’t play title hbo max“.
Since everything comes with a price, let’s get straight into what it costs you to have HBO Max. An occasional error troubleshooting is what you have to be comfortable with when considering BHO Max your regular entertainer.
Several users have reported that they encounter an error when trying to stream content on HBO Max. The screen displays an error message that says, “Can’t Play Title. We are having trouble playing this video. Please try again later.” Ugh! Goodbye movie-night!
When life throws lemons, make a lemonade! Read this article till the end and learn quick and exciting ways to fix this error yourself. No professional help is needed when Hack today is helping you become a professional at fixing bugs and glitches. So, stay tuned!
Why Does My HBO Max Say Can’t Play Title?
Every happening has a reason. If your HBO Max fails to play content, there must be a culprit behind it. Your job is to find out what’s causing this error. We have analyzed this situation closely and here are the possible reasons why HBO Max says can’t play the title.
- Unstable internet connection
- Server downtime problem
- Accumulated cache on HBO Max app
- Temporary glitch
- Outdated HBO Max server
- Corrupted browser cache
The wait is finally over. We are introducing you to the quick and easy ways to fix this HBO Max error. After applying these methods, you will be able to eradicate this trouble and stream movies without any hindrance. So, let’s get started!
1. Check the Internet Connection
Before jumping to the complex troubleshooting methods, try this simple workaround. Usually, an unstable internet connection or overloaded network traffic could be why titles are not playing on HBO or HBO Max. You can perform the following steps to make your network stable.
- Check if other apps on your device are causing network traffic. Disable all apps to let HBO Max play smoothly.
- Turn off the data connection for a few seconds and then turn it back on.
- Turn the airplane mode on and off to restart the network connectivity.
- If you use Wi-fi, plug out the power for a minute and re-plug it.
Note: A wired connection provides better internet stability than a wireless connection.
2. Flush DNS To Reset the Internet Connection
If you have tried the above-mentioned methods but still your internet connection is unstable, you need to flush the DNS. Follow the steps given below to perform this process.
- Go to the Command prompt on your PC.
- Type in the following commands one after another and hit Enter after each command.
ipconfig /flushdns ipconfig /registerdns ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew netsh winsock reset
3. Re-Log Into HBO Max
Giving your HBO Max app some rest can be a good idea. It lets the software reboot itself and starts afresh. You have to sign out for a while and sign in again. Hopefully, by now, you’ll be able to watch your favourite movie on HBO.
- Go to the HBO Max app on your smartphone/PC.
- Tap/click the profile icon.
- Expand the drop-down menu to select Sign out.
- Sign in again by putting in your account credentials.
4. Restart your device
This method is best to remove temporary glitches and bugs. Yes! It could just be a temporary glitch ruining your movie night. But not anymore. Restart your device if you can’t play the title, HBO Max. Simply turn your device off for a while and let it back on. This lets your device restart afresh and free of glitches.
5. Check Your Device And HBO Max Compatibility
After applying all troubleshooting methods, users find out that their device doesn’t even support the HBO Max app. Before jumping into complicated fixing methods, it would be better to check your device’s compatibility with HBO Max. Contact the Help Center and check out its compatibility.
6. Clear Chrome Browser Cache Data
A corrupted or cluttered cache can hinder your browsing and watching HBO Max online. If your HBO app says it can’t play titles, you should check for a corrupt browsing cache, remove it, and see your browsing getting glitch-free.
- Open Google Chrome and click the three dots in the top right corner.
- Once here, navigate to More tools to select Clear browsing data.
- In the next window, select All time from the drop-down menu at the top.
- Next, mark the boxes for Browsing history, Cookies, and other site data, and Cached images and files.
- Here you click on the Clear data button, and you are done.
7. Clear HBO Max Cache Data
App cache can also corrupt the app and cause errors such as the HBO title error, due to which you can not play titles. Therefore, clearing your app cache can get you out of trouble. The following guidelines will help you to clear the HBO Max cache on iOS and Android.
- Go to Settings > Apple ID Profile > Manage data.
- Now, scroll to search HBO Max and delete the data.
- Go to Settings > Apps > HBO Max > Storage.
- Now first, select Clear data and then Clear cache.
8. Turn Off VPN
If you use a VPN to stream content that is not available in your region, HBO Max will immediately detect it. Consequently, it blocks the streaming with an error message that says, “Can’t Play Title.” In this situation, turn the VPN off and try to play the content available in your region.
9. Update Or Re-install The App
Using an outdated app version can cause a lot of glitches and bugs, and can’t play HBO title is also one of them. So, if non of the above methods worked for you, you can try this one and see if you can play titles on HBO Max. Here is how.
- Go to App Store/Play Store.
- Type HBO Max in the search bar and tap on the app icon.
- You’ll see the Update option tap on it.
If updating the app did not work, try uninstalling it and then re-install the app to eradicate the error.
10. Check The Server
If you are unable to play the title on HBO Max, check for the HBO server. It could be under maintenance or facing downtime. In either case, you have to wait for the server to start working properly. You can check the server status by two methods.
- Go to the HBO official Twitter page.
- Check from the Downdetector website.
11. Disable Browser Extensions
If you are using any extensions on your browse, it can hinder your content streaming at HBO Max. The extensions conflict with the websites and cause errors. If you can’t play title on HBO Max, remove all the browser extensions,
- Click the three dots at the top right corner of the browser home screen.
- Now go to More tools and select Extensions.
- In the next window, remove all extensions one by one.
12. Watch A Different Content
Try watching some different content on HBO Max. If you don’t see the “Can’t play title” error, this indicates that there is nothing wrong at your end. The content you are trying to watch might have some technical error at the supplier’s end.
13. Use A Different Browser
Sometimes, there is no issue with the HBO Max app. The browser you are using has some error that prevents you from watching content on HBO Max. To see if this is the case with you, use another browser to stream HBO content. For example, if you were using chrome, try using Firefox or Safari.
Note: Try streaming content on the Incognito window. It prevents loading cache and cookies. Hence, there are fewer chances for the error to occur.
14. Check If Your Region Supports HBO Max
HBO Max doesn’t have global coverage. It is limited to selected countries. If you fall in the list of these selected countries, you can watch HBO Max. Elsewhere, you’ll see the title error. In case you don’t know about the regions where HBO Max is available, you can quickly Google the details.
15. Contact HBO Help Center
Have you tried all the fixes but nothing worked? Here is the last option you can avail of. Contact the HBO support team and describe all the details about the error you face. Also, mention the troubleshooting steps you’ve applied so far. It might give them a better idea of where the issue resides.
This article gives you multiple troubleshooting options to choose from. Go through the methods in chronological order to avoid applying complex fixes if the problem solves with the easy ones. Expectantly, any one of them will work for you.
The most common causes of the can’t play title HBO max errors are the browser cache and the outdated app version. Along with clearing the browser cache, try using a different browser to see if the app stops giving the same error. Updating the app can also get you out of trouble.