I was downloading a file on Windows 10, and suddenly I received a message that said, “operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus“. Does the same thing happen to you? If yes, you are at the right place.
I extensively researched fixing this error and found that this error pops up in two ways. First, as I mentioned above. And the second one says, “operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software“.
Depending on whether you’re using Windows 10 or Windows 11, you can see any of these messages. But, both messages are indications of the same error. The following fixes are applicable no matter which error message you receive,
The Causes For The “Operation did not complete successfully” Pop-up
There might be two possibilities when you download a file from the web.
- You might download an unprotected file that is dangerous for your PC. If you are unaware that the website is substantial or not, you should not bypass the message“operation did not complete successfully because of a virus.”
- Sometimes there is a possibility that you download a genuine file, but the antivirus mismatches the code that is given to it for susceptible files. In this case, the Windows defender gives you a message.
Fixes For The Windows Defender Virus Alert
Before we come up with the fixes for bypassing the message that “operation did not complete successfully virus windows 10.” You should keep in mind that downloading a risky file may harm your PC. If you are not sure whether that file is genuine or not, run a scan or download another authentic file.
1. Temporarily Disable Windows Antivirus System
You can avoid the virus alert message by temporarily disabling the windows defender system. To do this follow the below-given steps:
- Press the Windows Icon in the bottom left corner of your screen.
- This will show you a Start Menu.
- Select the Setting or click the Windows + I shortcut.
- Select the Update and Security.
- Tap on the Windows Security.
- Then Press on the Virus & Threat Protection.
- Select the Manage Settings link that will proceed you to a new page.
- From here press the Real-Time Protection toggle to turn it off.
Try to open your file if the issue remains the same power of the Cloud-delivered protection. If you are still facing the problem you have to disable windows antivirus software by using the Registry.
- Launch the Search Bar by pressing on the magnifying glass next to the windows icon.
- Write the Registry Editor and search for it.
- Type or Copy Paste HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
- Defender on the search bar of the Registry editor.
- Find the DisableAntiSpyware and double-press it.
- If you don’t find it, double-press the screen and choose New → DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name the key DisableAntiSpyware and double press on it.
- Set the value to 1 to disable the windows defender system.
- Exit the registry editor and restart your device.
2. Switch Off Third-Party Antivirus Program
It might be possible that your Windows shows a virus alert of “operation did not complete successfully virus windows 10.” This happens because sometimes you have antivirus programs installed on your computer. You can check it by temporarily disabling it.
- Right-press on the empty screen and select Task Manager. Open it in a wide mode if it appears in a small mode.
- Select the Startup tab by the header menu at the top of the windows.
- Locate your antivirus application and choose it.
- Press the disabled icon on the bottom right corner of the window.
- Restart your PC.
3. Put The Downloaded File On the Exclusion List
If you are hesitating to turn off the Windows defender system and third-party antivirus software, the best option is to add the downloaded file or folder to the exclusion list. In this way, your file will not be detected by any Antivirus software.
- Launch the file explorer and locate the file by copying the full file path with Ctrl + C in the address bar.
- Choose the search bar by selecting the magnifying glass icon close to the windows option on the bottom left of your screen.
- Write Windows Security and open it.
- Click on Virus & Threat Protection from the menu bar.
- After that press the Manage Settings option.
- Below the Exclusions, press Add or remove exclusions. You will appear on a new page.
- Select the Add on exclusion icon.
- Choose a File or Folder depending on your need.
- Paste the path you copied from the address bar by pressing Ctrl + V shortcut.
- Press the Select Folder icon when done.
4. Rebuild The File Explorer
There might be a possibility that you receive a virus awareness statement because of any problem in your File Explorer. You can repair it by performing these steps:
- Launch the search bar by pressing the magnifying glass on the bottom left corner of your screen.
- Search for the Command Prompt.
- After finding it right click on it and select Run as Administrator.
- If provoked by the User Account Control, press Yes to execute the app with permission.
- When the Command Prompt window is opened write the following commands and click on Enter.
After this restart your PC and check if the issue is resolved or not.
5. Check Windows Backup
Sometimes there might be an issue with the cache or corrupted files stored in your windows backup. This might be restricting you to download any file from the web. Attend these points to solve this:
- Click Windows + R on the keyboard. This will bring up the Run Utility.
- Write Control and click on Enter on the keyboard. This will open the Control Panel Application.
- Select Internet Options from the menu list.
- Remain on the General bar and press the Delete option.
- This will launch a new window.
- Unmark the Preserve Favourites website data from the menu.
- Mark the following ones
Cookies and website data
Temporary Internet files and website files
- After doing this press the delete option.
- Restart your PC and check if you are still receiving message alerts or not.
6. Perform An Antivirus Scan
One last option that is most preferable for your security too. Perform an antivirus scan that will detect any brutal file that you might have downloaded on your PC.
- Launch the search bar.
- Write Windows Security and press Enter.
- Choose the Virus & Threat Protection bar.
- Select the Scan Options.
- Click on the Full scan option. This will check all the corrupted files on your PC.
- This scan will be continued for 1-2 hours.
- Press on Scan Now.
If any virus is detected, Windows will automatically rectify it. You can check for scan results afterwards. After this, you will get to know whether the file was saved or not. This will be a worthwhile option for your PC.
I have provided all the methods to avoid windows virus alert messages in this post. You can bypass the notification by disabling the windows defender system and third-party antivirus program. More of this, you can also save your PC by scanning.
Our team of experts tests the techniques given in this post. You can easily count on us in your time of need. I hope I have given you a better option to choose to recoup your PC from corrupted files.