You decided to fritter away some boredom by watching a new show or movie but found your HBO Max Not Working on Roku. You double-check, but the app just simply doesn’t work. This can be extremely frustrating, especially when you are in the mood for a good show.
The good thing is that I have found some possible solutions that might help you get back on track with HBO Max again so that you can watch your favorite shows in no time!
In this guide, I’m going to take a look at why the problem is occurring, how to fix the issue, and what to do if all else fails.
Why is HBO Max Not Working on Roku?
There can be many reasons why your HBO Max app not working on Roku. It can be an internet connectivity issue or a technical glitch with your device. Or, it could be that the HBO Max app has been taken offline for maintenance or some other reason.
In any case, here are some ways to troubleshoot the problem.
Ways to fix HBO Max Not Working on Roku Problem
1. Check for Device Compatibility
The first thing is to check the compatibility of HBO Max with your Roku device, as only Roku 9.3 and newer versions support the HBO Max app.
To check your Roku device version, go to Home Screen and click Settings > System > About.
You can also check the list of supported devices on Roku or HBO Max website. If your device is incompatible, you should upgrade to a new Roku device that works with the HBO Max app.
2. Restart the Roku App
Rebooting the device helps resolve any glitches available. To restart the Roku device,
- Click the Home Screen and go to System.
- Now, look for System Restart and tap the Restart button. It will confirm restart, switching your Roku player off and back on.
- Play the HBO Max app again and check if the issue is resolved.
3. Update Your Roku Device
Ensure that your Roku device is up to date to avoid glitches and bugs.
Update your Roku device by:
- Going to the Roku home screen by pressing the Roku Home button.
- In the Settings menu, select System and click on System update.
- If a system update is available, Roku will automatically download it.
4. Check Your Internet Access
Network issues cause a lot of problems. Check that your router is working correctly or tests your internet speed using third-party websites like fast.com or speedtest.net. You can also use your Roku device to check the status of your internet and download speed.
- On your Roku remote, click the Home button.
- Navigate to Settings > Network and then Check Connection.
5. Turn Off Your VPN
The VPN shields you while you surf the internet. It can give you access to content only accessible in other regions while using it along with a streaming service. However, it has the potential to degrade the performance of streaming platforms.
Disable your VPN and see if your performance improves while watching HBO Max. It could be precisely what your Roku device needs to fix HBO Max.
6. Erase the Cache Memory
You can fix the HBO Max stuck-on loading screen issue by clearing out the cache memory. To clear the Roku cache, follow these steps:
- Bring up the Home screen and tap the Home button.
- On your Roku remote, click the House icon button five times in a row.
- Press the Up and Rewind buttons three times each.
- Finally, click the Fast Forward button twice.
- Erasing the cache will take up to a minute or so, depending on your internet speed.
7. Check the HBO Max Servers
Like any streaming service, HBO Max also experiences outages and service interruptions. So check whether there’s some error on their side. However, unlike Netflix, HBO Max does not have a dedicated page that indicates if there are any outages. As a result, you’ll need to visit other websites to confirm it.
The following are some of the most trustworthy websites to check if HBO Max is unavailable:
Another way to confirm this is by using the HBO Max on other devices such as a phone or laptop.
8. Re-login into HBO Max App
Another way is to restart your session by logging out and signing in again. It helps remove any temporary bug preventing your HBO Max app from functioning correctly. To do so,
- Open your HBO Max account in the browser.
- Tap the Profile icon > Manage Devices.
- Spot your Roku device in the list and pick the Sign Out option.
- Restart your Roku device and sign in again.
9. Reinstall HBO Max App
Many users have shared that they have settled the HBO Max not working on the Roku problem using this technique. The procedure is outlined below.
- Focus on the HBO Max channel and click the * asterisk button from the remote.
- Choose the Remove Channel option to delete the app.
- Once the app is deleted, go back to the Roku Channel Store and browse for the HBO Max channel.
- Now, add the channel and see if it runs smoothly. If not, move on to the last method.
10. Perform a Factory Reset
If all the outlined solutions fail to fix the HBO Max app problems on your Roku player, you may need to factory reset your Roku TV to fix it. There are two ways to do it,
By Doing a Soft Reset
- Navigate to Settings from Home Screen.
- Tap System then Advanced System Settings.
- Pick the Factory Reset option. A code will pop up on the screen to confirm your decision. Please take note of that code and enter it in the provided box.
- Then hit OK. Roku’s factory reset will begin and will take some time to perform.
By Doing a Hard Reset
Try the steps below if a soft factory reset fails to yield the desired results.
- Find the Reset button on your Roku device.
- Hold it for up to 20 seconds, and then let go when the Power light flashes. The factory reset is finished, and you can now set it up as though it were a new device.
If your Roku player has no Reset button, then,
- Hold down the Power and Mute buttons at once.
- While holding these down, unplug the power cable.
- After 20 seconds, reconnect the power cable.
- Release both buttons once the Roku screen lights up.
- Set up your account and device back again. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue now.
Hope you found this article to be handy. If the problem persists after following the steps above, it directs that there might be a problem with your device itself, and you need to replace it with a new one.
If you got any doubts or queries, don’t hesitate to put them in the comments section below. I will try my finest to respond to them on time.